While our favorite luxury watches are constructed from strong materials, they are still precision instruments that need to be packed and shipped appropriately to ensure they arrive safely at their intended destination.
In this guide, we’ll be going over the “two-box method” for packing and shipping a watch.
You’ll need two boxes (one at least 2 inches smaller per side than the other), bubble wrap, and shipping tape.
In this guide, we are using a 10x10x10 inch box and a 12x12x12 inch box, but there are many combinations that will work depending on the size of your watch box.
For added security, we recommend video recording the watch and all its functions (date wheel, chronograph, winding, etc) in good working condition before being packed, as well as the packing and sealing process. In the extremely rare case of damage or theft, this will protect you during the insurance claim.
Inspect your watch box to see if there is potential for the watch to fall out of its holder during shipping. If so, take a small piece of bubble wrap and place it inside the box to create a wedge that will safely hold the timepiece in place.
- Construct the bottom of your smaller box with THREE strips of tape staggered along the seal.
- Wrap your watch box in bubble wrap and tape the loose ends to ensure it is one unit.
- Add bubble wrap to the bottom and sides of the shipping box
place your bubble-wrapped watch box inside, and fill the remaining space with bubble wrap. Be mindful not to overfill.
NOTE - we prefer using extra bubble wrap here instead of packing peanuts because it is less messy.
- Seal your inner box with THREE strips of tape staggered along the seal. For shipping services that include an inner label, affix the inner label to this box.
- Construct the bottom of your larger box with THREE strips of tape staggered along the seal.
- Add bubble wrap to the bottom and sides of your larger box
- Place your smaller box inside, and fill the remaining space with bubble wrap. Be mindful not to over-fill.
- Seal your outer box with THREE strips of tape staggered along the seal and affix your label to the outside of the box with shipping tape. It is important to cover the ENTIRE label with tape to prevent rain from ruining the barcode. Do not place the label across the seal in case it bursts open, so it does not rip the label.
For security reasons, It is extremely important to never write “FRAGILE” or any other indication on the outer box about what is inside. The method of packing in this guide is your best protection against both damage and theft.
Congratulations! Your watch is ready to ship.
If you are in need of an insured shipping provider, Grailzee recommends using IFS. They are a highly experienced & fully insured shipper of high-value, luxury goods via FedEx Air. They tend to be much more cost effective and offer higher limits than other options. To sign up for an IFS account, head to https://www.ifsclients.com/registration.php and fill out the form to request an account. Mention you are a regular buyer and seller of watches as well as a member of Grailzee to get the best pricing. Upon submitting your contact form, one of their representatives will reach out to finish establishing your account. If you would like to expedite your account setup please call, text or email Debra at 949-510-0498 or firstname.lastname@example.org